Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Workout Wednesday: Crash and Burn

I was warned that marathon training would do this to me.  Did I listen?  Nooooooo.  But it happened.  My mommunity failed me. 

I. Got. Sick.


But that's ok.  I'm not going to bore/gross you out with the details (head/chest/stomach - all the major players came out for the party).  That little cold was the best thing that EVER could have happened to me.  

Say what?!?!  Yep - you didn't mis-read.   Getting sick was awesome.  Not so much the actual being sick part, but what I realized after.  

If my mental state has been getting you down lately - fear's all in the past.  Getting sick actually helped give that dark place the boot.  I spent 2 days off work, laying down, reading Archie Comics and watching classic movies on Netflix...and, after sleeping in until noon yesterday, awoke to the realization that I'm ok.  I'm not down about my running anymore.  I even believe I might actually be able to do this marathon thing (as long as I don't overthink it)

I also came to the realization that I was a victim of overtraining.  You probably all saw it before I did. Not that I increased my mileage too fast or was running too much...but that I was wearing myself out with everything ELSE I have going on.   My friend, J, said it best in an email to me:

"No matter how you slice it, you're doing so much more than any one ever attempts in their entire life. And you're doing it with toddler twins, at the same time you return to work, pretty much by yourself."

Ya - I knew that.  I did.  But I don't like to think that maybe I do too much.  I just figure I'm wired to handle more than most so it doesn't seem like a lot when I'm doing it.I'm not being's just the way I'm wired.

So, I spent 3 days laying down (2 of those with toddlers bouncing on me), and woke up after extra sleep on the third day realizing, I'm going to be ok.  In (eek) two and a half weeks time, I'll be in Kelowna and will be running 2 half marathons in quick succession.   Just putting one foot in front of the other for 5 or so hours.  No biggie. 

Ok - yes, I know it's a biggie...but it's all going to be ok.   Plus - I get to start carb loading soon...

1 comment:

  1. I find that I think I can handle anything as well! However, sometimes it catches up to me, but I don't see the signs until it's too late. I'm glad you came out of it rested and positive!


Thank you for commenting. Please note that any comments that are offensive will be removed without notice.