These sales are happening all over the Calgary area in the coming weeks and, whether you need to sell off your own stuff or acquire "new" for your own kids - these sales are a treasure trove of bargains to help you out.
This will be my first year actually selling in a community sale, but I have been an active bargain hunter in many,many of these sales over the past 3 years! Babies and toddlers outgrow their clothing far too quickly to make it worthwhile to buy new everything. I've had good luck selling some things on Kijiji, but right now, I need the motivation to get it all ready to go and having a deadline like an actual sale is a big help for motivating me!
So, if you are looking at attending the sales, either as a seller or as a shopper - I've compiled a little tip list for you to make the most of your adventure!
Tips for sellers:
- Price everything in a way that will a) retain the pricetag throughout the sale and b) show the size and price clearly. Unpriced items are less likely to sell because many people will just let the item go instead of asking
- Keep your prices reasonable. You are selling used items and you can't expect to get "new" prices for them.
- Price your items in even numbers - it will mean less scrambling for change when it starts to get busy
- Sort your items by size and gender so people can find what they need quickly
- Arrange for hanging racks for items that display nicer hung up - dresses, sleepsacks, etc. Pants, t-shirts and onesies display fine, laid flat on a table
- Bag up the toys so all of the pieces stay together
- Group things into "lots"...it make people feel like they are getting a better deal (and clears things out faster than selling one item at a time) - keep the pricing reasonable
- Pin together sets and pairs. Nothing sucks more (and loses a sale faster) than all of the pieces not being together
- Clean EVERYTHING. If an item is dirty - it is less likely to sell because people might question if it's a stain or if it just needs washing
- If an item is stained - note it and price it lower to compensate. Some people may tackle stubborn stain removal and take the chance on an item if the price is right.
- Tidy up your table as the day progresses - a neat table will draw more people in.
- Try to not let items fall too far under the table...if people can't see them - they are unlikely to buy them
- Make sure your float has lots of $5, loonies and toonies - you'll need those most when it comes to making change
- Make sure equipment like carseats, etc are still current and safe (the expiry dates can be found on the bottom of the carseat - 6 years old is too old)
- BRING YOUR OWN BAG/BOX/CART - sellers don't always have bags. For larger sales, I've found one of those "Granny Grocery Carts" is a big help in holding everything
- Bring smaller bills/loonies/toonies - Sellers might not have a huge cash float and the smaller bills are always appreciated
- Make a list of what you need and the sizes and measurements
- Bring a measuring tape to double check actual sizes
- Leave your kids at home with someone - trust me. It's much easier to shop for them when they aren't screaming for that toy. It's also out of respect for the sellers because kids tend to want to play with toys and don't understand that they need to stay at the table
I got most of this list off the Family Fun Calgary website (http://www.familyfuncalgary.com/category/community-sales/) and Baby Guide to calgary (http://www.babyguidetocalgary.com/events/sales.htm). For now, let's just call this a partial list of what's coming up! Feel free to post a sale in the comments if you know of one that I have missed here!
Montgomery Designer Children’s Clothing & Gear Sale
When: Saturday, September 23 & 24, 2011
Where: Montgomery Community Association
Time: Friday 5-8pm, Saturday 8am – 1pm
Table bookings: (403) 313-1144 (Leslie)
Langdon 1st Annual Community Toy/Clothing/Equipment Sale
When: Saturday September 24th, 2011
Where: Langdon Fieldhouse
Address: On Centre Street across from the stores in the 1908 style buildings
Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Admission: $1 (fundraiser for the Langdon Community Association)
Table bookings: Wanda 403-936-5967 $10.00/table
Silver Springs Children’s Used Toy & Clothing Sale
When: Saturday September 24th, 2011
Where: Silver Springs Community Centre
Address: 5720 Silver Ridge Dr NW
Time: 9:00am – 1:00pm
Table bookings:(403) 288-2616 Tables are $25 for members and $30 for non members. Women in Need Society will be there on the day of the sale to pick up any unwanted clothing along with any household items or small furniture.
Lake Bonavista Children’s Clothing and Toy Sale
When: Sunday May 29, 2011
Time: 10:30 am to 1 pm
Where: Lake Bonavista Recreation Centre
Address: 1401 Acadia Drive S.E.
Table bookings: Call (403) 271-7107 extension 226 and leave your contact details or email firstname.lastname@example.org Call or drop by the Lake Bonavista Community Association to register. Table registration is $25 for members and $40 for non-members.
Wildwood Little Tykes Sale
When: Saturday October 1st, 2011
Where: Woodcliff United Church (5 blocks west of the Wildwood Community Hall)
Address: 5010 Spruce Drive SW
Time: 9:00am – 2:00pm
Table bookings: Sign up at www.littletykewildwood.com
NW Clean Out Your Closet Sale
When: October 1, 2011
Where: Beddington Heights Community Centre
Address: 375 Bermuda Drive NW
Time: 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Admission Cost: By donation and goes to a charity
Table Booking: 403-226-4004, or email@example.com. For more details on the sale check out www.starbrightforkids.ca Registration ongoing. Registration fee of $10 and there is a 70/30 profit split. Limited number of vendor spots available. For the last hour of the sale, items are 50% off.
Kids Stuff Garage Sale
When: October 8th, 2011
Where: Cardel Place, upper level
Address: 11950 Country Village Link NE
Time: 9 am to 1 pm
Table bookings:Tables are $30 and can be reserved online starting August 15th. http://www.cardelplace.com/EventDetail.aspx?ID=121
Okotoks MOM to MOM Sale
When: October 22nd, 2011
Where: Foothills Centennial Centre (venue change)
Address: 207 Community Way, Okotoks, AB
Time: 10 am to 2 pm
Table bookings: Colleen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Rosedale Tiny Treasures Sale
When: October 22nd, 2011
Where: Wild Rose United Church
Address: 1317 - 1 Street N.W.
Time: 9 am to 2 pm
Table bookings: 403-270-2742 or email@example.com
Have fun and happy shopping!!! Maybe I'll see you out there...just make sure you don't stand between me and anything in a size 2-3 that isn't pink!!!