I had 10K slated for today's long run and I met up with my Saturday Runner girls at 9am at Eau Claire. It was a beautiful morning for it too - aside from the wind that we ran against for most of the run. There were even some calm portions where it was warm enough to take off our jackets. We were keeping up a pretty nice pace (the garmin was telling me 6:15/k every time I looked at it while we were running), but the path was a patchy skating rink. Ice EVERYWHERE! We'd just find our stride and then we'd need to slow down or walk and tippytoe across an ice patch or leave the path to walk around the really big ones. It really made the run a lot more tedious than it needed to be, but we weren't taking any chances when it came to potential for injury. In the end, we did just shy of 10K in just over an hour...average pace, according to my Garmin, was 7:09/K. I'm happy with that :)
Things I Learned Today
1) it's time to bring my fuel belt out of winter hibernation. 10K is too far to go without water...especially in the wind.
2) Once my fuel belt is out of hibernation - it's time to pack some Shot Bloks in it. My energy was seriously flagging by around the 7K mark.
3) Ice really sucks. Really. Especially when it is that stupid, paper-thin ice that you know a 5 degree difference in temperature would turn to water and make it much less slick.
4) I'm pretty sure I am going to be a speed demon once the paths are dry :)
5) Kona Cola Nuun... not so great. and I'd been so psyched to try it too...ah well - I always did prefer the Orange Ginger anyway! (I bought some after the run on my ill-fated visit to the Tech Shop)
In other news..I ate super crappy today. I suck. But I will be really good tomorrow. I promise...