This was the original plan:
- My arm warmers under my Old Navy Running Shirt
- red Mountain Equipment Co-op t-shirt over top
- MEC leggings
- Moving Comfort wrap skirt
- and then the holiday touches of red cable knit leg warmers, santa hat, and my houndstooth scarf.
- red fleece gloves
When the thermometer seemed so sold, I decided to kill the arm warmers and wear my Avia running jacket under the t-shirt - a move I lived to regret because I got very steamy hot fairly quickly.
Here's me and J right before the race, dressed all super cute :)
We took it at a pretty easy pace - it was a family fun run so there were tons of kiddos there and A LOT of people just meandering. The route ran out of Eau Claire Market and then along 3rd ave to connect with the running path again about a block west. Then out to 14th street, across the bridge and back again - finishing up by running across Princes Island and then back to the Market.
I did end up taking walk breaks at the half way point and then just before the finish. I think I am a cold weather cramper. I've been getting really bad cramps at my normal pace lately and they worsen when I get up to race pace. This was disappointing, because I know that J and I ran the first 8K of our half, just 3 weeks ago, at much faster than we went yesterday. Of course, we weren't battling ice.
In the end, we finished in 34:37 by my Garmin. Defintiely not my fastest 5K ever, but given the fact that it was really icy and they we were caught behind a delivery truck on the path on the island (!!!) I think we did great. And it was a lot of fun to see the different costumes people were wearing and the general festiveness in the air.
The things I learned:
• Santa hats just don't breathe! Must buy a wicking santa hat if I plan to do these in future years.
• To just trust my instincts on what to wear. I would have been quite comfortable in my original planned outfit
• I'm not sure I like the 5K distance except for short training runs
• I should learn to enjoy a 5K for the fun run aspect of it. If it isn't timed, I shouldn't sweat it.